On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Peter Rosin wrote:

Without a poll or something like that we'll never know how many uses "strange" desktop names today, but my guess is that it's something like 1 out of 10000 or so. Speaking of "many" just doesn't feels right.

You are now talking specifically about the desktop name in the
ServerInit message. The patch talked about *all* strings (that do not
explicitely mention any encoding, i.e. all but *CutText if memory
serves me).

There are no other strings without encoding. Well, except the "reason-string" of the SecurityResult, but that could be considered a typo, since the other "reason-string" is defined as ASCII).

I disagree. Replacing non-ASCII characters with ASCII ones may cause confusion or even security problems. If characters are to be replaced, it is critical that this is visible to the user. (If I remember correctly, this is pointed out in the Unicode book). A replacement character such as a box or something like that can used (this is what Microsoft Word does), but no such character is available in ASCII. But the UTF-8 way should work good enough, since sequences such as "Ã¥" are very rare in practice. This is a good property of UTF-8, and this is by design.

You brought up security. What if I, using CP-1252, write:
HELGEÅ… (hex 48 45 4C 47 45 C5 85)
That will come out like this in a UTF-8 client:
HELGEŅ

Which VNC servers can generate desktop names with CP-1252?

The UTF-8 extension could be signalled by the server by sending the
desktop name twice with a zero in between.

I.e. skara\0skåra

-1. It's ugly and not compatible with current Xvnc:s and probably not with RealVNC 4.X rfb proto.

Rgds, ---
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00