On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Adam Tkac wrote:

I don't agree with this wording. I don't think that older versions would
be "incompatible".

I think it will become incompatible. If your UTF-8 compatible software
starts to send UTF-8 strings you will see the garbage only on your
"good old ASCII" software.

The only server in practice that, today, that *can* send intl strings is Xvnc. It is normally running in an UTF-8 context. So it's not about "starting" to send UTF-8; this is typically what is done today! On purpose or not.

Typical clients (vncviewer.exe and the UNIX client) displays garbage. With the current implementations. We need to fix them. The question is if we should fix them the obvious way (UTF-8, the current behaviour), or introducing some complex extension system.

I don't think the implementation will be so complex. You could easily
add some if(UTF-8 compatible)s to the code.

And in the case of when the client is not UTF-8 compatible, what should you do?

In my opinion backward compatibility is very important thing and we
should avoid all incompatibilities. Otherwise we are creating the new
protocol, I think.

Sure, but IMHO, documenting current behaviour is not breaking compatibility.

If I understand correctly the complexity of implementation is the only
problem why are you against the UTF-8 pseudo encoding?

That's one problem. Another one, as I said, is that I think it will be much more difficult to convince other client implementors to switch to this complex new system, than simply make sure that their client interprets the strings as UTF-8. If they aren't doing that already.

Regards, ---
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00