Hi,
I was going through protocol improvement technique for high latency
networks. I adopted your continuous update technique but pausing the
updates if send data pushed is more than the congestion window. Windows
vista & above provides APIs to get the congestion window , with this value
we can get the maximum send bytes that can be kept on wire without
getting acknowledgement. I use overlapped send for sending updates to the
viewer. If the overlapped send pending bytes is more than the congestion
window, i notify the screen update thread to stop sending updates. This
seems to provide quick responsiveness & smooth animation in viewer side
without any changes.  Normally, most VNC server implementation uses static
send socket buffering which won't suit for high latency or low bandwidth
 networks. The static value would introduce network delays if the value is
very higher than the changing congestion window. I replaced UVNC server
with the above implementation & created a separate sourceforge project. You
can test  the implementation & provide me feedback if you find it
interesting.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloudvnc/
I would also be interested to update the code changes to tigervnc if it
makes difference.
Regards,
vasanth