I error on the side of the student.  That is, in quizzes I write, if
there's more than 1 correct ANS, I give the student 1 point for each
choice they correctly made.  So - if a Q is worth 2 points because
there's 2 possible correct ANSs, I give them 0-1-2 points for the Q
depending on how many correct choices they made.

Give them something for trying and getting at least something right!

Always makes me think of the point or 2 I'd pick up in Plane Geometry -
just for ID-ing the givens ... -- susan (not mathematically enabled)

Susan Brunner

TAFE SA lecturers: visit Your Desktop Library
via your Institute's intra-net
"The next big thing is Us!" -- Time magazine

Program Liaison Librarian : Voc Prep, Equity, & Aboriginal Ed.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
TAFE SA Elizabeth Campus
Library, Woodford Rd, Elizabeth, SA 5112
tel.:  0434-600218 or (08) 8207-9737

fax: (08) 8207-9715

>>> Kenneth Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 7/11/2006 3:46 pm >>>
Hello all,

One of my colleagues has disputed the method used for scoring quizzes

in TILT.

As you know, in TILT, some quiz questions have more than one correct
answer. Those questions are worth one point per potential correct
answer. So, if there is an item with five choices, three of which are

correct, someone taking the quiz could score anywhere between one and

three points for that question.

When it comes time to tally the quiz score, it is computed by
dividing the total number correct into the total number possible.

My colleague objects, saying that each question must count equally,
and the only proper quiz score is the percentage of questions
answered completely right or completely wrong. In other words, if
there are ten questions, the only score is "how many questions
correct out of ten?"

Is his objection valid? I've searched the literature on test
construction theory and it's leading me in circles. Any input would
be appreciated, especially if you have something (example, article,
precedent, whatever) that I can cite to back up the current TILT
scoring method.

Many thanks!

Kenneth Simon
Reference Librarian / Reference Technology Coordinator
Von der Ahe Library
Loyola Marymount University
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (310) 338-7686