I would like to get better than 100 uSec so I can get a couple of degrees resolution on a synchrophasor project.

Peter

On 10/12/2011 12:48 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Peter Gottlieb <n...@verizon.net <mailto:n...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    I have been using Rb oscillators as my standard for a while but would like
    to be able to have both a frequency as well as time standard which is
    synchronized to something outside my lab.  I would like to have:

    Frequency stability at least as good as the Rb osc
    Time server which can be accessed on my network
    12 or 24 volt DC operation for easy power backup
    Cost ideally $200 or less

    I am willing to do some building and gathering to implement this,
    including setting up a computer.  The time server need only last as long
    as the computer is up in a power outage, although I would keep the base
    receiver/osc running for an extended period.

    Any recommendations?

What level of accuracy do you need on the server. If "a few milliseconds" is good enough then you can use internet pool servers as you reference and you don't need GPS. If you need a microsecond or better then you are pushing the state of the art GPS can work between those limits. The hardest part will be finding a computer that can run Linux or BSD UNIX and an run on 12 or 24 volts DC. I'd guess and older used notebook computer would be best. "Old" is best too because you will need a "real" serial port, not a USB converter. Use real serial port for best accuracy when connecting to GPS. The software NTP, will come with linux or BSD.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California