The Efrotoms (FRS-C. Lpro) find the lock by modulating the microwave frequency with an audio signal (127 Hz if I remember right) which causes the light sense modulated signal to double in frequency when centered on the hyperfine frequency. See the manuals for nice description. The 5680A seems to accomplish the same thing by stepping the frequency +/- 700 Hz rather than mixing in modulation. Never saw any documentation on that, but seems to be implied by the great hacking Javier Herrero has done on the loop frequencies.

Seems to me that finding lock, that is finding the dip, may be a bit harder with the stepping than with the modulation. Maybe the observed drop in frequency during start up is part of the algorithm to walk the stepped frequency to center on the hyperfine light transmission dip.