On 03/31/2012 05:52 AM, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
.
On Mar 30, 2012 10:45 PM, "paul swed"<paulsw...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I have to say that in general I have been staying clear of this thread.
But its really a surprise that they are that sloppy and basing the results
on a Vectron OCXO. Not that I have ever had a complaint about those.
It just seems like the stunt I would do in the basement on my surplus
accelerator.

Their accelerator _was_ in their basement ;)

Still is as I gather.

Seems like facilities like that should regularly have a connector tightening party.

What I reacted on was the slope of the signal. Steeper slopes would not had allowed for such a large effect. Also, the receiving end should have a signal level detector and possibly some additional quality of the signal being monitored to ensure that it is correct. Continuous or flickering detection would then give a hint that there is a problem, and is in fact what we use to indicate that we need to send out a tech on the field to polish fibre and tighten connectors.