From: David <davidwh...@gmail.com>
Sender: time-nuts-boun...@febo.com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:11:29
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement<time-nuts@febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Rigol scopes

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:56:18 +0000, shali...@gmail.com wrote:

>That's why the default mode for a DSO should always be "pulse detect" or
>whatever the manufacturer calls it, unless you know what you are doing. As far
>as I know, all DSOs have this or an equivalent mode where the ADC runs at full
>speed regardless of sweep speed, and the min and max readings between two
>display points are stored. If you are in a condition that would otherwise
>result in aliasing, the trace will look like a big fat trace, just like on an
>analog scope if you are probing a 10MHz signal at 1mS/div.

Do the low end Rigol oscilloscopes actually support peak detection?
The manual only describes an envelope mode without any ability to set
the number of envelopes like a Tektronix 2440 can for single shot peak
detection.  When I was in the market for a DSO a couple years ago, the
Rigol representatives could not answer.  I ended up rebuilding an old
Tektronix 2230.

>You get the same issue with an analog sampling scope, except that those don't
>have a "pulse detect" mode, so they WILL lie to you unless you know what you
>are doing. It is not a "digital storage" issue, it is a sampling issue.

Sampling oscilloscopes are in a class all to their own and very
specialized.  Their low sample rates hinder capturing infrequent
events but if a repetitive glitch is there, they can still see it.  A
non-sampling oscilloscope with limited bandwidth could just as easily
miss a narrow pulse because of bandwidth constraints no matter how
high its sampling rate.