On 5/11/12 4:34 AM, shali...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes, I moved them yesterday

Didier KO4BB

------Original Message------
From: Mark Sims
Sender: time-nuts-boun...@febo.com
To: Time-Nuts
ReplyTo: Time-Nuts
Subject: [time-nuts] Trimble Resolution SMT - good/bad/indifferent?
Sent: May 10, 2012 11:02 PM

Why in the hell would anybody build a 50 channel receiver?  At most you MIGHT
see 12 usable GPS sats...  I don't think that I've seen over 10.  WAAS should
be fairly useless for a timing receiver.

Supposedly the Nortel NTGS50AA docs and support info (including GPSMONITOR were
uploaded to the KO4BB site).

"channel" in GPS receiver speak is more than a single satellite.. L1 + L2 + L5 would be three channels.

Sometimes the P/Y code is considered a separate channel.

And when you start adding in other constellations and S/Vs (QZSS, Galileo, GLONASS), you add channels.

ANd here's another reason to claim "X channels" where "Y<<X" is the most you're likely to use. It gives an indication of processor/FPGA resources consumed, and can be used to estimate "margin" in a utilization review.

For instance, if I've demonstrated acquiring and tracking 100 "channels" in the lab, and I know I'm never going to see more than, say, 12, in the field, then it is unlikely that there's some obscure timing/processor loading bug that's going to cause a problem.