With Glass/Epoxy protoboards being so expensive, I have bought several lots of
a phenolic perf board for prototypes off the web and they have been the most
inexpensive boards I have ever found.  I don't feel bad about trashing failed
prototypes..  Search your favorite site for 7x9cm PCB Blank Circuit Board - you
will find plenty.  Also - I tend to do point-to-point wiring by soldering 30ga
kynar wire wrap wire to the pads. Silver plated - solders well...  I have an
old pair of flush cutters with a nick in the blade that works perfectly as a
wire stripper...