Hi

It’s a good bet that the REF-1 is set up to allow a hot swap of the REF-0 unit.
In a
cell site, you would not want a working REF-1 to go down when you replaced a
blown REF-0. You would *think* that the same logic applies to a REF-1 booting
up initially. For what ever reason, it does not apply. No I did *not* write
that firmware :)
I also have never seen the original spec for these boxes. There may be a
perfectly
logical reason they boot that way.

Why does this matter?

Booting a REF-0 cold is likely a bit different than letting the REF-1 bring it
up. The
control lines likely need poking in a “ready goes low first” followed by the
other lines
later sort of order.

It is indeed the once per 5 seconds stuff that I *suspect* are not needed
except to
fill in the information in the master display screen. The once a second message
is
very much needed for the unit to keep doing it’s thing. Actually that’s not
exactly
correct. The unit cruises along for a bit with no messages before it goes into
holdover.
I have never tried pushing things to figure out if that’s a useful “feature” or
not.

Bob