From: "Dan Kemppainen" <d...@irtelemetrics.com>
To: <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Hi,

Don't know how good they are, but there are two functions in the
kernel32 lib in windows that are related to a cpu performance counter,
QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency. (Maybe Linux has
similar?)

Anyway, on most systems the frequency reported is the raw cpu clock.
(Couple of Ghz Range numbers, My current system is reporting 3,320,458
Hz, windows7.) Supposedly these are low latency functions. It may not
offer a perfect solution, but at least it gives you 'low latency' access
to a high speed counter.

Maybe it's possible to timestamp incoming PPS pulses with this (assuming
they're triggering an interrupt), and learn something neat.

Some of this is subject to change with windows versions:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn553408(v=vs.85).aspx

Dan