I remember often reading that if you run a 'lyt at a voltage much reduced
from its rating,
the oxide layer would get thinner over time so that in the end, the
effective rating of the
capacitor was about what you had been running it at.  This would seem to
imply that
purposely overrating a 'lyt is pretty pointless.

Any comments on this notion?

Dana