Keep in mind that the 7 min "warmup time" of the PRS-10 is jut the time for
the
unit to get the physics package close enough to final temperature for the
dithering
loop to lock to the atomic transition. But based on measurements of current
drawn
by the oven(s), it takes more like an hour for the ovens to settle down
very well.

My own experiments with a well-used "telecom mod" PRS-10 suggest that it
takes
my unit more like 3 or 4 days to really settle down to its background
frequency drift
rate.  This rate is specified as something like "< 5E-11 per month", which
is frankly
pretty awful.  Mine seems to be better than spec, more like 2E-11 per month
(frequency
increasing over time).  The point here is that there are apparently a
number of warm
up drift mechanisms operating, some of which take days to sensibly settle
down.

I've been wondering about the issue of whether it's best to operate a
PRS-10 only
at times of need, or continuously, with respect to life.  I posed the
question direct;y
to SRS, and they claim that it is better to leave it running all the time.
My own
"algorithm" has become "leave it on all the time" when I'm around and even
remotely
active with time-nuttery, but shut it down when I'm away on vacation.  This
is mostly
out of concern for something going wrong with the power supply and burning
the
house down.  Lightning storms are one such risk, for example.

Dana    K8YUM