Folks,

Please be careful about definitions in this discussion.

To some people, "phase noise" refers to sideband noise, away from the
carrier, arising from some form of random phase modulation of the carrier.

To others, the same term refers to the underlying phase modulation itself.

While intimately related, the two meanings refer to different manifestations
of the same root cause, and casual (unqualified) use of the term "phase
noise"
can lead to considerable confusion.

Thanks,

Dana