On 3/21/19 1:19 AM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:

BTW our modules for Cisco had special contents in some registers to make sure
that nobody could use alien modules. There must have happened some
social engineering if I read the post above :-)

I suspect more that someone sued under the Magnuson Moss Act -
You can't deny warranty service for using "third party plug compatible" - and there's some things about "not concealing details of the interface" which would make creating such plug compatible devices. This dates way back to the IBM mainframe days.

Note that this is probably (by court precedents that are available) only for "computing and communication equipment" - little crypto id chips in printer cartridges may not fall in that bucket.