Relative to Harrison's method of star position measurement and timing, and
the
possible effects of diffraction thereof:

Hanbury Brown's book "The Intensity Interferometer" may provide some useful
insight about various error sources, even though in a different context,
that of
measurement of a star's angular size.

The opening chapter discusses some early attempts at angular size.  Galileo
apparently made the first really serious attempt, based on how far behind a
cord of known diameter one must stand so that the cord *barely* blockes the
star's image in the eye.  He found a size of 5 arcseconds for Vega, for
example.
Evidently previous estimates were in the two arc minute range.

Hanbury Brown mentions that a pretty detailed description of Galilieo's
methods
and attention to detail were given in Galileo's "Dialogue Concerning the Two
Chief World Systems".

It is interesting to note that Galileo's method still yielded a figure some
3 orders of
magnitude larger than Vega's currently accepted (as of 1974) angular size
of about
3 milli-arc seconds.  Hanbury Brown attributed the discrepancy largely to
angular
scintillation from the Earth's atmosphere.  It seems to me that this has to
be a noisy
factor in the Harrison method, too, and it would be interesting to see more
research
done on this point.  It also seems to me that the diffraction issue would
be complicated
by the different distances to the two obstacles necessitated by Harrison's
approach.

Right now I'm beginning to think about whether I have the smarts and
computational
resources to do some simulations of this situation.

Hanbury Brown's book is basically about his invention of the Intensity
Interferometer,
which is an attempt to go beyond the capability of Michelson's stellar
interferometer.
The tale spans from HB's original late-night inspiration until the eventual
construction
and successful operation of a special telescope in Narrabri, Australia.  It
is a fascinating
story winding through HB's own initial self doubts, scientific criticism of
the validity of
the concept, technical hurdles, bureaucratic hurdles like getting funding,
more technical
hurdles, etc.

Dana