Well, I once had a nutty idea which was to detect earthquakes by looking
for the phase
variation of DTV station pilot carriers due to seismic waves propagating
around, thereby
changing the physical distance between transmitter and receiver in a cyclic
manner
until the 'quake calmed down.   Doing so would require that the phase
stability of both
transmitter and receiver, expressed as length units, be within a fairly
small fraction of
an inch.

I've since figured out that even with a Rb at both ends, this would not
work out- something
more like an H-maser would be required.  And one other thing- I had
completely
forgotten about Doppler-shifted reflections off aircraft, which often fall
right in the frequency
range of seismic waves and persist for durations similar to those of
earthquakes.  But that's
what got me interested in time-nuttery.  I still intend to do the
experiment, just to see what I
can learn about what other factors might exist which cause propagation
phase variations.

Dana