Steve,

I'm curious: in the absence of a PPS or other electrical output from your
"computer",
what is the nature of the time "output "?  If it's just visual via a
display, why not  view
the light output of the seconds digit with a photocell.  Most of the
transitions should
produce an easily-detectable step or glitch in the light.

Dana