On 9/30/19 7:05 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
Hi

Based on only dimly remembered conversations long long ago:

Getting all the “message fragments” so they sound natural and not choppy is
not quite as easy as it seems at first. It’s by not quite rocket science, but
there
is more fiddling involved than one might think.

One “solution” is to use fewer fragments and record larger portions of the
message.
Back in the day, storage limited your ability to record every message “full up”.

Typically one records 60 phrases - that is, rather than recording twenty, thirty, forty, and one, two, three and try to assemble them - you record all the numbers 00,01,02,03...

After all, your time is *free* to do the recording, and it makes the software to play it back easier (you don't have to figure out "is this less than 20 in which case play phrase[0] through phrase[19], and then play phrasetens[t/10] + phrase[t mod 10]

Assuming you record the “at the stroke the time will be” only once, the rest is
under 3 seconds of audio. At maybe 16 bits / 32K sps. (yes that’s overkill).
this comes
up just under 200 K bytes. Recording the full time message for every minute of
the
day would be less than 270 megabytes.

That would be a bit tedious..

There are, of course, myriad text to speech programs of varying quality available for just about every OS imaginable. Although, in 10 minutes of casual browsing, I've not yet found one for Latin - a suitable voice intoning the time in Latin periodically would seem to be a good addition to any time cave.

Google translate does speak Latin, although I've not had my family classics scholar evaluate it. To my ear, it seems to have a distinctly Italianate accent (a terminal vowel added to words), although it does say "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" and "Carthago delenda est" correctly.

That’s a pretty small flash drive ….

Bob