Andy,

Isn't DirecTV downlinking around 12 GHz?   Yet GPS L1 is at only ~1575
MHz.  That's
a huge difference with regard to scattering losses, and probably a fair
amount of
difference for water absorption losses as well.

I've recommended that my old friend try putting his GPS antenna up in the
attic as
close to the peak of the roof as he can do.

Thanks,

Dana