It looks to me like one might be able to exploit a resonance of the
A-frame.  Instead of
whacking it with a mallet, vibrate the tube in the appropriate direction at
the appropriate
frequency and run up the amplitude until (hopefully) the ribbon ends touch
on each
cycle as indicated by electrical means, then connect a charged capacitor to
effect a
weld.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to find the resonant frequency.

Dana