Most modern GPS receivers are very quiet even barefoot.  So, one could
argue that one should
not have much more LNA gain in the antenna than required to make up for
feedline loss, which
should be easily calculable.  While excess gain  in the antenna can improve
overall system noise
figure a small amount, it will degrade intermod performance, which is
likely to be a worse problem
than simple weak signals.  It's likely that the cure is worse than the
disease, as my doctor likes to
say.

Dana