Maybe Grace Hopper's aid will help? 11.8 inches = one nanosec, so a ps is .0118 inches. You really want two clocks not occupying the same space to be correlated to that accuracy?
Don

On 2019-12-04 08:55, Tom Van Baak wrote:
Martyn,

I'm always being asked to provide equipment that can produce two 1
pps outputs aligned to each other to within a few ps.

They should look at their best 1PPS on a 'scope. You can get ns with
care; I doubt ps is possible. I mean, that's THz BW isn't it?

Can you share with us what their application is?

So they are asking for two of my GNSS frequency standards with 1 pps
outputs.

The 1 pps outputs being derived from the rubidium oscillator (which
is aligned to GPS/GNSS)

The best I think I can achieve is in the low ns range.

Right. It will be ns, not ps. Forget about using GNSS for ps level timing.

Does anyone know how this can be achieved?

Google for papers by high-end national timing laboratories. Words
like: active temperature stabilized (phase stabilized) bidirectional
optical fiber links.

Very possible, very expensive, quite common now. I'd guess most of the
timing centers in Europe are linked this way.

/tvb

I'm always being asked to provide equipment that can produce two 1 pps
outputs aligned to each other to within a few ps.

These two 1 pps pulses are not in the same location and could be 100 metres
to a few km away.

  So they are asking for two of my GNSS frequency standards with 1 pps
outputs.

The 1 pps outputs being derived from the rubidium oscillator (which is
aligned to GPS/GNSS)

  The best I think I can achieve is in the low ns range.

  Does anyone know how this can be achieved?

  Regards

  Martyn

Dr. Don Latham  AJ7LL
PO Box 404, Frenchtown, MT, 59834