Even without any funny business with boost converters (or whatever). those
copper wires
make a nice antenna for coupling noise from both ends (PC and USB
accessory) into
the environment inside the chamber.  Unless, of course, the cable is
well-shielded, which
you did not mention.

I suppose it's too late to ask, but did you perhance try adding some
clamp-on ferrite chokes
to the cable?

Dana