On 2/24/22 11:31 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
I give up! Where is this $5 USB-to-RS422 Adapter to be found?

Amazon has such a DTECH adapter for $22.

Indeed the price has gone up substantially - $15

https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-SH-U10-Converter-Compatible/dp/B078X5H8H7

I am using a RS422-to-RS232 adapter and it has been totally reliable for many years. I am not trying to use the pps output via the serial link so any delay in the USB adapter would be irrelevant.

Is anyone successfully using a USB-to-RS422 adapter to communicate with a HP Z3801A? How does the Z3801A software need to be configured for USB or does the USB adapter simulate a RS232 port?

The one I have looks just like a serial port (i.e. it shows up as /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART on my mac and is usable with pyserial ) . I changed the jumpers on my Z3801 to RS232 a long time ago, so I don't know if it would work, but I suspect it would - they're not doing any exotic protocols - it's just serial data.

And I've never depended on the timing of the messages - so the USB timing isn't important.

A lot was left unsaid in that simple statement below...

Larry