Am 2022-06-02 19:55, schrieb K5jv via time-nuts:

On a different subject:  A couple of month back I got some strong
criticism about suggesting that the oven in the Z3801A was a potential
source of problems.   I just got another Z3801A in for repair.  Same
symptoms as before;  appears to turn on normally but after a while
goes into holdover and stay there,  same LH flat lines.  Once again
the problem turned out to be the oven.  It was unusually hot to the
touch.  Changing the oven solved the problem.  Now my question.  I
have never opened one of these oven, so have no real idea exactly what
is inside.  I would  suspect that one of  the oven's thermostats is
stuck in the "on" position.  Since it is a "double oven",  there could
be two thermostats?   If these are mechanical contacts, as one might
expect fro the 1995 era, can they be cleaned or replaced?   Comments
1965 ???
from anyone who has actually seen inside one of these ovens would be
appreciated.

I had a Morion MV-89A that stopped oscillating when the tune voltage
was > 0.8V. I opened it and recovered the SC 5 MHz crystal. It had
parameters that could be expected from such a crystal, quite good.
The xtal parameters were not too different between room temperature
and 85°C, stability obviously excluded. It is possible to do most
development work for a new oscillator without burning one's fingers
too often.

There is one thermistor in the inner oven; in the outer oven
there is probably sth. else, but nothing mechanical.

< https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/49585174873/in/album-72157662535945536/ >

and from there to the right.