On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Guus Sliepen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > If MTU probes are not responded to, then yes, tinc will fall back to TCP > and > this will increase latency and decrease throughput. It would be interesting > to > know why the MTU probes or the responses to them are not received. Perhaps > you > can store tinc's debug output (using the --logfile option) and at the same > time > run tcpdump on the public network interface to see what is being sent and > received? > Sure I can do that. I'll try to get it done this week. > > MTU probes will be attempted again after one hour by default. It is tied to > the > session key timeout, so you can let tinc try more often by adding KeyExpire > = > 600 to tinc.conf for example. Still, this is suboptimal of course. I will > change it to keep sending MTU probes every PingInterval, just like it does > when > MTU probes did not fail. > Ah okay. I definitely didn't observe for an hour. > > Hm, that might indicate a bug in tinc. However, I could not reproduce it > with > two Linux machines. It could also be a problem with some stateful firewall > rule > or a router doing NAT that keeps an old mapping around for 30 seconds. > > Every time when the MTU probing fails, I see latency between 700 - 1000 > ms > > with 32 byte pings over a LAN. > > That in itself is way too high, but this is a problem many people have seen > on > Windows. > > Yes, the idea is that tinc should figure out the best way to connect to > other > nodes on its own of course. I'll try to reproduce the problem with a node > running Windows, maybe that makes a difference. > Yes this whole thing could very well be related to a Windows client and perhaps it's related to some of the other complaints I've also seen of other Windows users report nasty latency. I will see if I can reproduce the effect with a Linux client too. -Donald > > -- > Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards, > Guus Sliepen <[email protected]> > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- > Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux) > > iEYEARECAAYFAk0fhM0ACgkQAxLow12M2nvkMwCfcojnEMNqaTuBp1B7dDI3ymT8 > ILsAnjGeAyn6QMCykwbX/rNGebQwzfCc > =hODH > -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- > > _______________________________________________ > tinc mailing list > [email protected] > http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc > >
_______________________________________________ tinc mailing list [email protected] http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
