Hi Donald,

I was following the example provided here:

http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation-1.1/Example-configuration.html#Example-configuration

Is there a better way to do it?

-Matt


On Jan 25, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Donald Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> I admit it's been a long time since I've used tinc so I'm pretty rusty, but 
> your config does seem a little odd to me.
> 
> You are in router mode, and defining /16 networks for each location, but then 
> bringing up the tinc interface for something with a /8.  From the perspective 
> of that interface then every 10.x.x.x address is a "peer" on a LAN that can 
> be reached via switching, not routing.
> 
> Maybe that has nothing to do with it though, and it is curious that only one 
> endpoint is impacted.
> 
> Does your vpn not work if you use a /16 in your tinc-up script?
> 
> 
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Matthew Tolle <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Donald,
> 
> Thanks for the idea. I didn't even think about MAC conflicts. I checked all 
> the servers that participate in the tinc network and they are different. The 
> tunnel link all look like this: 
> 
> home Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
> 
> Those links are POINTOPOINT connections so I think that's ok. I don't think I 
> need to makeup and set a MAC address for each of those do I?
> 
> I'll poke around and check the other servers at node2 site to see if there 
> are any conflicts there.. but I doubt there is. 
> 
> -Matt
> 
> On Jan 21, 2014, at 7:05 AM, Donald Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> My 1st guess would be IP or MAC address conflicts.
>> 
>> 
>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Matthew Tolle <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Howdy Folks,
>> 
>> I've got a 5 node setup here. My server "home" is the primary server that 
>> all other servers connect to. The configs on all the servers look like this:
>> 
>> # cat /etc/tinc/home/hosts/node1
>> Subnet  = 10.2.0.0/16
>> Address = 192.168.2.1
>> 
>> <RSA KEY>
>> 
>> # cat /etc/tinc/home/hosts/node2
>> Subnet  = 10.3.0.0/16
>> Address = 192.168.3.1
>> 
>> <RSA KEY>
>> 
>> Etc. All the hosts are setup the same.
>> 
>> # /sbin/tinc -n home dump subnets
>> 10.1.0.0/16 owner home
>> 10.2.0.0/16 owner node1
>> 10.3.0.0/16 owner node2
>> 10.4.0.0/16 owner node3
>> 10.5.0.0/16 owner node4
>> 
>> # cat /etc/tinc/home/tinc-up
>> ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.2.0.10 netmask 255.0.0.0
>> ifconfig $INTERFACE up
>> 
>> # cat tinc.conf
>> Name = node1
>> ConnectTo = home
>> Mode = router
>> AddressFamily = ipv4
>> PingInterval = 600
>> PingTimeout = 15
>> 
>> 4 out of 5 nodes work just fine. Node 2 however has issues. It does work 
>> fine for 5-30m and then pauses my connection to it. It's still up. I can't 
>> ping it over the "pause time" with 0% packet loss. Any TCP connection over 
>> the link just pauses for a while. The odd thing is it doesn't timeout. In an 
>> SSH session to the box over the tinc link I'll type "ps -ef" and 10m later 
>> I'll get the response. SSH should timeout way before then so I'm not sure 
>> what's going on. It's not like that all the time. I get maybe 15-30m when 
>> it's working just fine and then 10m of network pause. While my SSH session 
>> is paused I can see that the app on the server is talking to my primary node 
>> over the tunnel. That seems odd.
>> 
>> The app on the node side seems happy and can reach everything it needs to. 
>> No sign of issue there. It only seems to be an issue over the tinc tunnel. 
>> It kind of feels like maybe something is routing the IP space in a different 
>> direction for a period of time and then it comes back. If that were the case 
>> my TCP ssh connection would timeout well before the connection returns to 
>> life.
>> 
>> Has anyone seen anything like this? I've poked at a bunch of things to try 
>> and pinpoint the issue. So far no love.
>> 
>> The routing table looks fine and the same on all of them:
>> 
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
>> 0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
>> 10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 home
>> 192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
>> 
>> Nothing else in node2's area uses 10. space.
>> 
>> Any ideas I would appreciate it.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> -Matt
>> _______________________________________________
>> tinc mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> tinc mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tinc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> tinc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to