On 8/25/06, R. Steve McKown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

It seems the only method supported by TEP 103 to determine an empty LogStorage
log is to perform a read and receive 0 bytes in return.  Is this a correct
assessment?

Hmm, yes.

I can't find where TEP 103 specifies the initial read position of a log, such
as after reboot but before the first call to LogRead.read().  The closest I
can find is from the first para of 3.3: "Such logging should be reliable (a
mote crash should not lose data)."  Is this a strong enough pronouncement to
indicate that implementations must explicitly set an initial read position to
the start of the oldest record in the log?

The oldest record was my intent at least. It sounds like we forgot to
say that... (will fix)

What's the best practice for initially configuring the various
Block/Log/Config storage components' volumes, especially in a moderate volume
production setting?  I'm currently thinking a separate program needs to do
intitial setup before the main application is installed.

I think it's too new for their to be a best practice yet... We assumed
you would consider your application's needs, flash chip
characteristics (erase size, etc), and pick accordingly (each kind of
flash chip has a separate configuration file for volumes).

David Gay