one way is the shell command 'usermod', but most linux distros provide a GUI for user mgmt.

by running chmod 777 you made the device file r/w/x accessible by everybody (including yourself) rather than adding yourself to the group that had/s permission to access the file (which is what usermod can do with the -G option).

i suppose that if after chmod you still had problems, then the problem is not strictly a permission problem.

-shane