I'm not aware of this "ICstick" mote, nor of it's available hardware. In general, there is no "Zigbee" chip. Most motes that are compatible with tinyos have a microcontroller, radio, and built-in Analog to digital converter(ADC) for taking sensor readings. Some have an additional chip that has a unique ID permanently burned onto the chip(like the IMote series), some do not (mica2/micaz series). Most tinyos supported motes are not 100% compatible with the zigbee standards. If you need a device that is compliant with those standards, then you may want to take a look at the zigbee alliance homepage (http://www.zigbee.org/).

It's easy to ensure that the TOS_NODE_ID is unique if you control the programming of each node. If you are not, and multiple people are independently programming the motes, then you cannot ensure uniqueness using TOS_NODE_ID. If your hardware does have the this SerialID chip, but software doesn't exist to read it, then you could write the hardware level instructions to fetch that value. If the hardware lacks that chip, then maybe you need to consider using different hardware that will suit your needs better if having unique IDs is crucial to the operation of your programs.

Other than this, I do not think I can provide much more help in regards to this matter.

Thanks,
-Paul

Ricardo . wrote:

I am working with a ICstick Mote, but you're saying that depends on the chip, the ZigBee chip?

Sorry, I did not understand... the NodeID not initialized with the value that the user wants, for example given in the Makefile? How is it guaranteed to be unique across the network?