On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:34:08 -0700, Jim Clark wrote:
>Hi
>
>I found the following somewhat ironic given there were legal opinions
>(presumably from lawyers) that the practices were in fact legal.  I doubt
>very much that the problem of policing members of professions is unique
>to psychology.

Turley has spoken about the legal opinions generated within the
U.S. White House as (paraphrasing) laughable and/or crap.  I think
that the main problem here is how does one demonstrate that such
legal opinions are, in fact, crap.  Get a "second opinion"?  Well, we
have Turley's.  But obviously that is insufficient.  A real test would be
for the U.S. Attorney General to indict and prosecute all of those
involved in promoting the use of torture (going as high in the administration
as is necessary).  The courts would have to work this out.

However, it has been noted that the Obama administration is not
interested in prosecuting these individuals (though the reasoning is
not clear; political considerations are probably paramount).  So,
being morally right is not as important as being in a position of
power, of such enduring power that one has no fear of being
prosecuted for the crimes that one has commited.  Might,
apparently, does make right.

Is this the lesson we should be conveying to students?  Or do they
already know this?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu

>>> "Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D." <wool...@webster.edu> 12-Aug-09 11:04 AM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
At the APA convention, Jonathan Turley (Shapiro Chair for Public
Interest Law, The George Washington University Law School) gave the
/Lynn Stuart Weiss Psychology as a Means of Attaining Peace Through
World Law Lecture/.  In his presentation, he commented about the methods
by which the law profession polices its own and how psychology fails to
adequately address those within the profession who behave in ways that
are unethical, illegal, etc. At lunch, we further discussed this issue
and we explained to Jonathan the divide in psychology whereby some in
the profession require a license and some do not. We also discussed that
membership in organizations such as APA is entirely voluntary and that
the Ethics Code for those without state licensing requirements is not
enforceable.