From: "Stuart McKelvie" <smcke...@ubishops.ca>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:13:39 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [tips] Eurocentric?

Dear Tipsters,

Michael Sylvester wrote:

>One way to look at a non-Eurocentric approach is to consider the

example of intelligence. Intelligence to me is the ability to adapt to

"existing" environments and should not be confined to what was deemed

as intelligence by a few European based scholars.<

Consider the 1916 definition of intelligence offered by Binet and Simon (who I
think might just been qualified as "European"):

" It seems to us that there is a fundamental faculty, the alteration o r the
lack of which, is of the utmost importance for practical life. This faculty is
judgment, otherwise called good sense, practical s ense, initiative, the
faculty of adapting one's self to circumstances. To judge well, to comprehend
well, to reason well, these are the essential activities of intelligence."

Sincerely,

Stuart

___________________________ __________________________

" F loreat L abore "

Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)

" Recti cultus pectora roborant "

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D ., Phone : 819 822 9600 x 2402

Department of Psychology, Fax : 819 822 9661

Bishop's University,

2600 rue College,

Sherbrooke,

Québec J1M 1Z7,

Canada.

E-mail: stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca (or smcke...@ubishops.ca)

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:

http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy