Dear Tipsters,

I am sure that many of you, when not engaging in the endless careerism
that is involved in being a member of the academy, have heard about a
social networking/time-waster popular on the InterWebs (IW) called
Twitter that produces Twits, er, Tweets, that is, short pieces of information
that someone has decided has such significance and import that they must
be communicated to "followers" immediately.  Human decision-making,
being as impeccable as it is (e.g., one study of the content of Tweets has
shown that only 40% of them are just "babble" [as pointed out in the article
below a common response to this finding has been "Only 40%?"; for a
popular media account of the study see the following:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/08/17/urnidgns852573C4006938800025761500818FFB.DTL
 ])

the obvious question that manifests itself (or begs to be answered) is:
"Given all of the intensely interesting and entertaining people putting out
Tweets, who has the highest signal-to-noise ratio such that following
this person maximizes your information/entertainment quota for your
rapidly diminishing free time (NOTE: I'm referring to non-retirees here)?"

One answer to this question is the decision algorithm provided in the following
article:
http://www.esarcasm.com/3687/to-follow-or-not-to-follow-a-twitter-guide/

Note that this would a wonderful tool to use in class, either in intro or in
cognitive or any other class that focuses on decision-making, algorithmic
vs. heuristic reasoning, and, perhaps, highlights some of the guiding values
that people who use Twitter/Facebook/Socialnetworking systems have.
NOTE: it helps to know who Amy Winehouse and Ashoton Kutcher are
as well as knowing how strippers dress.

Go and make productive use of these tools.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu

P.S. I avoided asking the obvious question of who on Tips is on
Twitter, Facebook, etc., in part, because I think that most Tipsters
don't have the time to do Twitter (then again, perhaps they are tenured
or retired and have given up doing anything productive with their lives).
But, perhaps we can have a weekly "Tipster Most Likely to be on
Twitter/Facebook/SocialNetworking/etc" feature like we have a
"Tipster of the Week" (copyright M. Sylvester).

On not.