Dear Colleagues,

Frantz, Sue wrote:

But the reasons for his resignation run deeper than the recent cuts made to the Archives of the History of American Psychology. In a note sent to the listserv of the Society for the History of Psychology, he explained:

I began thinking about resigning when APA Council began passing resolutions on the involvement of psychologists in torture and interrogations that were opposite to positions taken by other national associations in health care and public welfare.

The problem lies not with the Resolutions or Referendums but rather APA's policies of inaction in relation to these documents. The 2006 and 2007/8 Resolutions carefully outline the prohibition against psychologist involvement in torture and other forms of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment.  Both explicitly highlight that these prohibitions apply to all settings and that there are no extraordinary situations (e.g., war) that negate these prohibitions. Both include references to conditions of confinement as a form of torture or cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment. The 2009 Referendum Petition was even more explicit in stating that psychologists should not be working in contexts in violation of international human rights law except when working for human rights organizations and particularly in relation to meeting the needs of prisoners.  Unfortunately, the APA has only used these Resolutions/Referendum as press releases as opposed to an actual guide for action. I personally think there has been a pattern of disingenuous highlighting of these documents to the press while maintaining a wink/nod to those involved in the "war on terror" encouraging business as usual.

I raise this point as so many psychologists both within and outside of APA have worked in good faith to bring APA into compliance with international human rights standards (note that APA is a United Nations NGO) and many of these same individuals continue to work to close the "Nuremberg Defense" clause in the APA Ethics Code. These efforts are important and reflect the social justice stance of so many psychologists both within and outside of APA.

However, this work has consistently then been misused to create spin for APA with no real action. Psychologists remain at Guantanamo Bay and similar sites despite these Resolutions/Referendum. Ethics complaints have been summarily dismissed against psychologists who have been involved in what looks to be "harsh interrogations" without so much as a review of the evidence. For example, in one case, a video tape and affidavits from interrogators exist, but APA did not even request the evidence following the initial complaint against the psychologist. The complaint was dismissed without even beginning the review process. The problem lies not with the Resolutions/Referendums but rather with the actions of the leadership within the APA (i.e. the Board of Directors; certain elements of the Council of Representatives).  There is indeed something wrong and it appears to be systemic and complex.

As for other professional organizations, history will reflect back on this period as a time where almost all professional organizations struggled and largely failed.  The AMA and the American Psychiatric Association have failed to fully address the role of physicians at sites such as Guantanamo particularly in relation to the use of drugs (not related to illnesses), interrogations, and forced feedings. The American Anthropological Association has struggled with anthropologists engagement with the U.S. military's Human Terrain System Project. And I'm sure others can cite similar examples.

There are professional organizations that have taken stands against torture and other forms of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment but these are organizations that are not professional "guilds" but rather more closely aligned as NGOs or social action organizations (e.g., Physicians for Human Rights, Psychologists for Social Responsibility). I should also mention that there is a collection of Divisions within the APA, the Divisions for Social Justice (e.g., SPSSI, the Peace Psychology Division, Division 39-Psychoanalysis, and other Divisions), that have worked nonstop on this issue for years.

I further would note that for many teachers of psychology, we do not need to belong to the APA for any professional logistic reason (e.g. insurance, licensing).  It is important to be aware that one does not need to be an APA member to belong to most of the Divisions within the APA.  For example, the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (Division 2) does not require membership in APA and all members receive the journal Teaching of Psychology, the newsletter, and other benefits of membership.  Or as Dr. Benjamin points out, he still will retain his membership in the Society for the History of Psychology (the History of Psychology journal is also excellent). Other Divisions such as SPSS, the Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, and Violence, the Society for the Psychology of Women, etc. all encourage membership from non-APA members.

The decision to retain or not retain one's membership is APA is a personal one. I recognize that some prefer to remain within the APA to work on issues of importance to all psychologists, including torture, and/or to support the APA's lobbying efforts on behalf of psychological science. I also recognize that some chose to resign for both political and personal reasons. I respect both positions and do not want to start a debate about the merits of membership. Often these debates turn nasty and are largely not fruitful.

Nonetheless, I was concerned that Dr. Benjamin's comments might lead to further misunderstanding and a mischaracterization of the many psychologists, and their work, who have endeavored on the issue opposing psychologist involvement in torture or other cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment over the past several years.

To Peace,

Linda

--
tag Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology and International Human Rights

Hulsizer, M. R., & Woolf, L. M. (2008). Teaching statistics: Innovations and best practices. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
Book Web site at: http://www.teachstats.org

Past-President & Internet Editor: Society for the Study of Peace, Conflict, & Violence (Div. 48, APA)
Board Member: Institute for the Study of Genocide

Woolf Web page:  http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/
Email: wool...@webster.edu

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's (and woman's) best friend. . . .
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
                  -             Groucho Marx

Kiva - loans that change lives