Afro-American attendance at our national parks is very minimal.And for many
blacks visiting those national parks,especially those in the West,is viewed as
an activity  mostly for whites.Finding the reasons as to the absence of blacks
have led to multiple speculations such as remembrances of slavery and general
disinterestedness.
But I do have a take that differentiates the origin of the collective
unconsciousness of the Eurocentric mindset,the Afrocentric mindset,and the
Coppercentric (of the indigenous people of the Americas) mindset.Personally I
believe in the ifea of a "collective unconscious"-where the history of our
racial past is embedded in our genes. Archaeology would support the idea that
early Europeans lived in caves,were surrounded by mountains,rocks and all types
of geologic formations.So it is not surprising that landscapes impinging on the
Eurocentric visual system would create some kind of appetitive drive for
mountain activities such as skiing,moumtain climbing or looking at mountains.
The collective unconscious of African-Americans contains trace elements of a
more tropical
flora fauna environmental past existence and collective community survival
strategies with nature's rhythmicity.The type of activities people  enjoy has
some connection with the geologic history of our racial past. I have observed
that white cheerleaders seem to do all types
of flips and flops.Black cherleaders do not seem to go for being hurled
in the air. For the Germans it is beer barrel polka,but the community spirit is
felt when blacks invented the electric and cha cha slide.In Appalachia,the red
neck olympics fits right in.
 It should be noted that conditioning can bring about changes for  blacks to
enjoy going to visit the Grand canyon and other national parks. Remember when
golf and tennis were viewed as white activities? And the NFL quarterback was
always white?
NASCAR still appears to be for the 'good ole boys'.Churchill downs use to have
black jockeys,but have been replaced by coppercentric
riders.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida