Somehow I had missed this activity while it was going on yesterday
(NYC was one of the locations where there were unclothed breastiness
going on).  Tipsters in other parts of the world where women's breasts
may be exposed in public under certain conditions may be wondering
what the fuss is all about. As it turns out, there's a website (big surprise)
that explains what is going on (sort of); see (NOTE: don't be surprised
to see bare breasts on a website promoting "Go Topless Day"):
http://www.gotopless.org/

Since I only read these kinds of websites for their content, I think
the following quotes are relevant to explain why there is such an event:

|Rael, spiritual leader and founder of goTopless.org states: "as long
|as men can be topless, constitutionally women should have the same
|right, or men should also be forced to wear something hiding their chest."

Here is an interesting section from the website:

|Who can participate? We welcome everyone! GoTopless was
|founded by the Raelian Movement, which recognizes that life on
|Earth was created by advanced extraterrestrial scientists. These
|scientists, both male and female, used their mastery of genetic
|engineering to create humans in their own image (breasts included!).
|GoTopless includes thousands of women and men, who have a
|wide variety of beliefs, affiliations, etc...

Ah, so we have space aliens to thank for getting women to exposed
their breasts on a specific day during the summer in specific locations
(which aids in planning for scientific study of such events :-).

For more on the "Raelism Movement", see the Wikipedia entry for it
(standard disclaimers apply):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raelian_movement

Well, if students are interested in doing naturalistic observation, perhaps
these events might be of interest. Or not. ;-)

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu