On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:14:22 -0700, Michael Sylvester, Ph.D. wrote:
>      HAPPY  HOLY   RAMADAN

I admit to being somewhat puzzled when I hear people saying things
like "Happy Ramadan" (Dr. Sylvester just being a convenient example)
because it is as peculiar as wishing Christians "Happy Lent".  One
description of Ramadan is provided by Wikipedia (standard disclaimer
apply):

|Ramadan (Arabic: رمضان‎) (also written Ramazan, Ramzan,
|Ramadhan, Ramdan, Ramadaan) is the ninth month of the
|Islamic calendar. It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which
|participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking, smoking,
|and indulging in anything that is in excess or ill-natured; from
|dawn until dusk [1] Fasting is meant to teach the Muslim patience,
|modesty and spirituality. Ramaḍān is a time to fast for the sake
|of Allah, and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramaḍān,
|Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and
|help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves
|through self-restraint and good deeds. As compared to solar
|calendar, the dates of Ramadan vary, moving forward about
|ten days each year. Ramadhan was the month in which the first
|verses of the Qur'an were revealed[Qur'an 2:185] to the Prophet Muhammad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

As the Wikipedia entry notes, this fasting has similarities to
activities in other religions:

|God proclaims that "fasting has been written down (as obligatory)
|upon you, as it was upon those before you". According to the
|earliest hadith, this refers to the Jewish practice of fasting on
|Yom Kippur.[3][4]

Saying "Happy Ramadan" would be as strange as saying
"Happy Yom Kippur" given that Yom Kippur involves the following:

|General observances
|
|Leviticus 23:27 decrees that Yom Kippur is a strict day of rest
|and of fasting.
|
|Five additional prohibitions are traditionally observed, as detailed
|in the Jewish oral tradition (Mishnah tractate Yoma 8:1):
|
|Eating and drinking
|Wearing leather shoes
|Bathing/washing
|Anointing oneself with perfumes or lotions
|Sexual relations
|
|Total abstention from food and drink usually begins 30 minutes
|before sundown (called tosefet Yom Kippur, lit. "Addition to
|Yom Kippur"), and ends after nightfall the following day. Although
|the fast is required of all healthy adults, it is waived in the case of
|certain medical conditions. Virtually all Jewish holidays involve a
|ritual feast, but since Yom Kippur involves fasting, Jewish law
|requires one to eat a large and festive meal on the afternoon before
|Yom Kippur, after the Mincha afternoon prayer. Wearing white
|clothing is traditional to symbolize one’s purity on this day. Many
|Orthodox men immerse themselves in a mikvah on the day before
|Yom Kippur. [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur  (SDA)

The Christian equivalent, as claimed in the Wikipedia entry, is:

|In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Fast Day of the Exaltation
|of the Holy Cross is observed on September 14 in the Julian Calendar,
|roughly coinciding with Yom Kippur (which oscillates with respect
|to the Julian and Gregorian Calendars). One Orthodox priest—Rev.
|Patrick Reardon—argues that it is obviously derived from Yom Kippur,
|and that everyone realizes this.[33]
|
|However, Yom Kippur is most comparable to the Christian holy
|day of Good Friday. As Yom Kippur is seen as the day for atonement
|of sins, so is Good Friday depicted as the event which Christ granted
|humanity atonement through his death and resurrection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur

And, of course, Good Friday, can be described in the following terms:
|Good Friday, also called Holy Friday, Black Friday, or Great Friday,
|is a holiday observed primarily by adherents to Christianity commemorating
|the crucifixion of Jesus and his death at Calvary. The holiday is observed
|during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding
|Easter Sunday, and often coincides with the Jewish observance of Passover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

Good Friday occurs in the context of Lent which:
|Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year
|leading up to Easter.
|
|The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through
|prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration
|during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the
|events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the
celebration
|of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

So, if one finds the acts of prayer, penitence, almsgiving, and self-denial to
be joyous events instead of opportunities to engage in submission to a higher
authority, a time for reflection on whether our behavior corresponds to a code
that we claim to publicly proclaim (but probably observe more in its violation)
then I think that "Happy Ramadan", "Happy Yom Kippur", and "Happy
Good Friday/Lent/Passion of Christ/etc" may seem to be reasonable things
to say, especially given the U.S. culture's need to put a positive optimistic
spin on everything instead of trying to understand the nature of, say,
suffering.

Remember:  when you got lemons, make lemonade and don't focus on the
fact that a lemon is sour, its taste in unsweentened form may be unpleasant,
and that you ultimately have to accept the sour with the sweet.

So, "Happy Blue Monday!" everyone!

(For non-Vonnegutians, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast_of_Champions
and/or
http://books.google.com/books?lr=&num=100&id=9DYwDTiicg0C&dq=%22breakfast+of+champions%22+vonnegut&q=%22blue+monday%22#search_anchor

For relevance to Tips and to tie it in to the SciAm 60 Second
thread, see:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=good-bye-blue-monday-2007-04-13
and
http://www.sciamdigital.com/index.cfm?fa=Products.ViewIssuePreview&ARTICLEID_CHAR=6F57551A-2B35-221B-6E09B54DCB672782&sc=I100322
though the later requires a subscription or having
David G. Myers as a friend ;-)

Busy, busy, busy, or nice, nice, very nice, so many different
people in the same device.

Welcome to the karass.

-Mike Palij
New York University