I'm waiting for laundry to finish, so will bite on this. In addition to what
Marc already said sbout quality of study, I mention QUANTITY of time - 2 to 3
hours per hour lecture. I stress re-writing lecture notes to create their own
study guides. I'll give examples on how to do this, but nothing very
structured, as there are lots of ways to study. To assist in note taking I try
to take a few minutes to tell them what I am going to say (at beginning), and,
what I said (at end). There are lots of ways to study .. when I was in college
I developed a short-hand system that included a few logic symbols, and a few
russian words that were shorter than the english equivalents (I took logic &
russian my first year). And that studying should be done with TVs and
blackberries off - though some people do well with distraction. When I "study"
radio or music creates an optimal level of ambient stimulation that keeps me on
track. And I HAVE to have my favorite writing instruments close by -
mechanical pencil, highlighter, colored pens. I'm sure the Skinnerians out
there will say this is stimulus control over my study behavior. It is nice to
also take advantage of the Premack idea and do the tough studying first, making
the easier studying a reward.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University