On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:18:10 -0700, Sue Frantz wrote:
> Just like speed dating, you get 3 minutes with a psychiatrist or
> psychologist before moving on to the next one.
>
> People looking for a quick fix?  Or a good way to shop for a new
> therapist?
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/nyregion/31therapy.html

I'd really like to hear what the clinicians on the list (or elsewhere)
think of this activity.  I can only see two positive aspects to doing
this:

(1)  It serves as an ersatz screening process for detecting severe
psychopathology in the persons attending these activities.  It is
hoped that the psychiatrists and psychologists engaged in "speed
shrink" recognize who is seriously ill and make accommodations
to get them into appropriate care.

(2)  If most of the people attending these things are among the
"worried well", then perhaps what they will hear during the 3 minutes
will calm whatever "neurotic" complaint they have at the time.

Of course, the purpose behind these activities is to sell books,
CDs, and other media that the psychiatrist/psychologist has produced
as well as "soliciting" for new clients, but aren't there ethical issues
regarding this kind of conduct?  I realize that people like Dr. Phil
and other "TV therapists" have left the impression in the general
population that many problems can be quickly solved by someone
who "appears" to be a sympathetic, wise, and compassionate
listener (the automated versions of which have been presented in
the movies THX-113 by George Lucas or the action-adventure
"Demolition Man").  Perhaps this may be true for some segments of
the "worried well" but isn't it part of a clinician's responsibility to
take a history that would help them understand what the person's
problem is (e.g., is it really what the person is complaining about
or is it something that the person isn't aware of such as being
passive agressive, deliberating engaging in self-defeating activities,
etc.).  Having had some experience in taking such histories for
psychiatric research, how can the appropriate information be
collected in three minutes while still resisting the effects of the
representativeness, availability, and other heuristics/cognitive biases?

Send me something.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu