Bentall's article reminded me of some of the old Szaszian literature which in
turn reminded me of one of my favorite little papers of all time,  "A Szaszian
View of Death, or the Myth of Death" by Vatz & Weinberg (1977). I found it
reprinted on a public forum at http://www.szasz.com/vatzremarks.html. It starts
like this...................

A Szaszian View of Death, or the Myth of Death

We have been impressed by the humanistic writings of Thomas Szasz about the
myth of mental illness (Szasz: 1961). It occurs to us that Szasz provides a
paradigm for understanding other behavioral phenomena. A particularly poignant
example is the behavior called "death."
What is "death"? In fact there is no objective reality to what we call "death."
"Death" is simply the name we give to people whose behavior (typically lying
down and doing nothing) we neither understand nor approve. By labeling it
"death," we pretend that we understand it and enfranchise a panoply of actions
to be taken ostensibly in the interest of the "dead" but, in fact, as we shall
show, serving primarily to derogate and persecute those we call "dead." We give
no sustained care to "dead" people. We take away their vote (except in Cook
County, Illinois). We deprive them of food. "Death" therefore, is but a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

For the rest of this delightful little 2 page article, see
http://www.szasz.com/vatzremarks.html.

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Peoples Building, Room 44
Department of Psychology
Fall Semester Office hours: Mondays noon-2 and 3-4; Tuesdays & Thursdays
12:30-2p.m.
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
West Chester, PA 19383
http://home.comcast.net/~epollak
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist & bluegrass fiddler ...... in
approximate order of importance.