On this day of reflection I have been thinking about whom we as a
culture and society consider to be heros and how we interpret who they
are and what they have done.  Although this might have relevance to
the event of 9/11/01 I am actually thinking about psychologists who
are held in high esteem and presented as a type of "hero" for other
psychologists to be proud of and as an example to be emulated.
One can think of many examples, old and recent, of people who
are seen as having made a significant contribution in some form,
for example, William James is often spoken as a "founding father"
of American psychology but this is usually done with a selective
presentation of his activities and beliefs, that is, those activities
of James that psychologists might be proud of are promoted and
emphasized that those activities and beliefs that they may be embarassd
by, such as his belief in spiritualism and his promotion of it, not so
much.  In the case of Sir Ronald Fisher, Stephen Jay Gould tried
to reconcile the apparent genius of his contribution to statistics
and genetics with his sincere beliefs in and promotion of eugenics
as a solution of society's problems (i.e., promoting scientific
racism).  Are they comparable cases involving psychologists?

The question then arise:  Why to psychologists, especially teachers,
seem to engage in a form of the confirmation bias in presenting
psychologists whom someone or group has considered "significant"?
(for some backgorund on the confirmation bias see the wikipedia
entry but there is large literature on this; I would also suggest
looking at Ray Nickerson's 1998 article in the Review of General
Psychology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias )
If we start from the assumption that all people are imperfect, that
they cannot consistently engage in good and/or ethical behavior,
then why instructors emphasize only one side (the good or the bad)
while they should be attempting to apply their own critical thinking
abilities to both the work of a psychologists and that person's
character.

I wonder, for example, if a psychologist, say dates undergraduates
and even goes on to marry them, is this an ethical breach and if so
is it a minor or major offense?  How does engaging in such behavior
affect that psychologist's ability to serve as a source of ethical guidance?
I see one case like this that seems to popping up in a number of
contexts and been concerned with how to interpert this.  Anyone
have any thoughts on this?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu