On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:53:21 -0700, Joan Warmbold wrote:
>And now the right-wing groups are successfully drumming up
>public support for Joe's strident remark.  I strongly suspect that
>this entire incident and the support that is now swelling up for
>Mr. Wilson was all planned and orchestrated in advance in order
>to denigrate and dishonor Obama in a very public forum.  I mean,
>when given due reflection, does it really make sense that a member
>of our Congress would lose it like that when such has never, ever
>occurred before?   I checked out Joe Wilson's background and
>there's nothing there that would suggest that Mr. Wilson has so little
>self-control but, instead, suggests quite to the contrary.
>
> http://www.joewilson.house.gov/

Uh, maybe Mr. Wilson was channeling that other great South
Carolina politician Andrew Butler who beat the Senator from
Massachusetts with a cane over the head (metaphorically,
speaking). See:
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/The_Caning_of_Senator_Charles_Sumner.htm

and
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-manatt/emsouth-carolinians-gone_b_283397.html

Then again, maybe he was channeling himself. Consider:
|In 2002, during a C-SPAN discussion about Iraq's capabilities for
|nuclear and biological weapons, Wilson attacked Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.)
|as harboring "hatred of America" at least four times when Filner suggested
|Saddam Hussein may have obtained some technologies from the United States.
|
|In 2003, when The Washington Post persuaded Essie Mae Washington-Williams
|to publicly identify herself as the biracial daughter of Thurmond, who once
had
|been an avowed segregationist, Wilson accused the woman of trying to "smear"
|the senator, who had died six months earlier. "It's a smear on the image that
|[Thurmond] has as a person of high integrity who has been so loyal to the
people
|of South Carolina," Wilson said.
|
|When the Thurmond family acknowledged that Washington-Williams was
|indeed Thurmond's daughter, Wilson apologized but did not back down
|from his assertion that she should have kept quiet
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/10/AR2009091002051_pf.html

There appear to be a number of South Carolina politicians who have
behaved badly (for an equal opportunity list of politicians behaving badly see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_scandals_of_the_United_States )
but I think I'll wait for the definitive presentation of that by that other son
of
South Carolina, Dr. Stephen Colbert, who returns from hiatus next week.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu

.