On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:08:52 -0700, Christopher D. Green wrote:
>It is important not to confuse historians of science and sociologists
>of science when discussing this matter. Although they briefly thought
>they were doing similar things, it eventually became clear that they
>were engaged in rather different projects. Lorraine Daston has recently
>written explicitly on this matter in an article which is now being much
>discussed among both groups: (2009) "Science Studies and the History
>of Science," /Critical Inquiry, 35/, 798-813.

A few points:

(1) I would encourage Tipsters to read the Daston article because
it highlights certain issues: (a) my immediate reaction to her writing
style and coverage of issues left me with the impression that she was
verbose, slow to getting to the point (or was it that she used stylistic
constructions that instead lead on a straight road forced one to climb
through a honeycomb), and perhaps too clever in making her points
by half, and (b) if memory serves, I believe she says at some point
that the material written by workers in the science studies area and
the history of science are not read by actual scientists [though the
actual reasons are somewhat vaguely presented], and I would like
to point to this article as an example of the type of writing that a
scientist who is either interested in science studies or history of
science would wonder "Now what was that all about?  What
relevance can this have to me?"

(2)  If Daston's article is being discussed on the lists that Chris is
on, I wonder if there is any discussion of Hamid Ekbia's "Artificial
Dreams"?  I believe that Ekbia did his dissertation with Douglas
Hofstadter (of "Godel, Escher, Bach" fame -- and no I'm not
engaging in regression to authority or "fame by association") and
is a science studies oriented cognitive scientist at Indiana University.
Though Ekbia is a self-confessed science studies-type, I would not
recognize him as such if I were to use Daston's description of such folks,
indeed, he appears to be much more of a critical science history type
and I think that his book, a critical history of the development of AI,
would be of interest to AI researchers, cognitive scientists, and cognitive
scientists.  "Artificial Dreams" is available on Amazon and would suggest
people take a look at it (and, yes, that's a quote from my review of
the book for PsycCritiques).  Contrary to Daston's portrayal of the
relationship of science studies and history of science, I find Ekbia's
book a balanced use of critical analysis (e.g., examining the role of
how economic factors force AI researchers to engage in big budget
science because of the costs of getting and maintaining computer
hardware, attracting people capable of writing sophisticated software,
and justifying the research enterprise by making outlandish claims
about what their AI products will do) and consideration of the current
historical factors (e.g., automatic machine translation was initially funded
because the U.S. Department of Defense didn't want to rely upon
human translators of Russion science journals, especially those relevant
to nuclear science -- an enterprise that was initially claimed to be
successful in a few years but ultimately funding was cut because the
problem of translating between language was far more complicated
than simply finding and substituting the translation equivalent in a text).

So, who is giving a better accounting of the status of science studies
and the history of science area:  Daston or Ekbia?  Frankly, after
reading the one article by Daston, I have significant doubts that
science studies or history of science have any relevance to psychologists.
However, after reading Ekbia, I would recommend it to psychologists
because it gives an interesting parallel history of cognitive studies and
research including some of the same characters that have influcenced
cognitive psychology (e.g., Schank, Minsky, Newell & Simon, et al.).
However, AI researchers operated under different constraints from "pure"
psychologists:  psychologists merely had to conduct experiments and
obtain data that would allow them to support or reject a particular
theory or model while AI researcher had to produce a computer
program that embodied the theory and behaved in accordance with
the assumptions and principles embodied by the theory.  If the computer
simulation or robot/cyborg failed, then one had a high-cost failure
because of the expenses involved in doing such work (cognitive
psychologists can also do expensive research, especially with costly
neuroimaging devices but there is no obligation to do so; insights can
still be obtained with low cost equipment like PCs).

Or, outside of Ekbia, do people in science studies and history of science
not study psychology?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu