We recently concluded a thread on the origin of the term "alpha male" for the
top dog in a
group of social animals.  With help from other TIPSters, I came to the
conclusion that its
probable originator was the  American zoologist W.C. Allee and it may first
have appeared in
his book _The Social Life of Animals_.

Now for something not so completely different. What if we ask a question, not
about the top
of the pecking order (itself a term invented somewhat earlier, attributed to
the Norwegian
zoologist Thorleif Schjelderup-Ebbe), but about its lower levels.

Evolutionary biologists (e.g. Tim Clutton-Brock) have observed that when two
wanna-be
alpha males engage each other in combat, posturing and butting and roaring and
such, a
less-favoured member of their group can slip in and have his way with the
ladies while the big
boys are otherwise engaged.

Having watched too many law programmes on TV, I know that you should never ask
question unless you already know the answer. In that spirit, I ask the
following:

What is the term evolutionary biologists use to describe such sneaky f*ckers
and their
strategy which exploits this failing by alpha males to out-compete them? And if
that's too
easy, then tell me who was the first to use the term, and where.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca