> From: "Truhon, Stephen" <truh...@apsu.edu>
>
> I will be attending a conference in Tartu, Estonia. Does any member have a
> connection to the University of Tartu, especially in psychology? Any
> suggestions of places to visit in Tartu?

I live in Tallinn and I'm in Tartu a few times a month. Tartu is a small
(by American standards) city of 100,000 people, and the University of
Tartu is the largest employer.

Here is some tourism information: http://www.visittartu.com/
http://www.tartu.ee/ You can probably just walk into the tourist
information center (it's in the main square, in the building with the
large clock) and ask what events are taking place during the time you're
there.

If you want to see something a bit different, walk across the river to a
neighborhood called Annelinn, which is where you can see row after row of
Soviet-era apartment blocs. I'm not a historian, but as I understand it,
after Estonia was occupied and made part of the USSR after World War II,
the leaders in Moscow were worried about the Estonians trying to gain
independence. To help prevent this, they imported scores of people from
what is now Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus, who were more likely to be
sympathetic to the USSR "cause" and not interested in an independent
Estonia (even now, around 35% of the population are native Russian
speakers). They had to find a place to house all the newcomers, so they
threw up a bunch of massive, ugly apartment buildings all over the
country. If you are flying into Tallinn, you'll see even more of them as
your plane approaches the airport.

Here's a list of the faculty members at University of Tartu's psychology
department:
http://psych.ut.ee/psych/index.cgi?h&tootajad (it's in Estonian but I
think you can figure it out, or use Google Translate)

Someone mentioned that the former president of Latvia has a psychology
background. The current president of Estonia does as well:
http://www.president.ee/en/president/

As for language, I think you'll find that anyone under age 30 speaks
English quite well. One thing some visitors notice is that often people
will mix American and British English, and sometimes in the same sentence.
The reason is that the schools teach British English, but American English
is otherwise quite pervasive in movies, music, and TV. I just had a look
at tonight's TV schedule, and it will be CSI, followed by Desperate
Housewives and Nip/Tuck (all one season behind the US, for
financial/licensing reasons). All foreign TV shows and movies are in the
original language, with subtitles (i.e. not dubbed). I think this is
related to English proficiency and/or "reach" of the native language, as
I've noticed the same trend in Scandinavia (subtitles) but dubbing seems
to be the preference in Germany and Russia. If you want to see subtitling
at its fullest, catch a movie while you're in Tartu, and the subtitles
will be in both Estonian and Russian.

Enjoy your trip, and feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like any
further information.

Regards,
Justin Fidler
Sona Systems, Ltd.