It should be crystal clear that despite the assumption that students get
educated to be well informed,amd to think critically,the reality is that a
great majority of students see education as a gateway to get a good paying
job.It is also interesting that employers may not care about grades as long as
one graduated from college.Grade inflation
probably serves an adaptive function for both faculty and students.
It helps retention, and signifies that we have at least  an educated citizenry
despite differences in cognitive pursuits.And based on the assumption that
students nowadays do not care to pursue the breath
and depth of ideas,the fact is that many students just want to get the diploma
so they can get a good paying job.Some students may not be interested in
working hard to get good grades.They probably are thinking of  effortless
strategies to get good grades.And that could be
as American as apple pie. I do not dig the assumption that American students
are lazy: they are just motivated for different and other pursuits.
I was a lecturer at an Aeronautical university here in Daytona Beach
and students always complained about having to take Humanities,and
  Behavioral and Social Science courses.However they enjoyed this different
orientation since without passing those classes they would probably not become
pilots.However there are many flight schools  where someone can learn aviation
skills without taking Humanities and Psychology

       To me ,a big issue is to find out what students
   are motivated towards and profs should adapt strategies
  to students' needs.I suspect that our aging Tipsters are in a quandary with
historical pedagocial models that are not effective
  with today's student.Grade inflation may be a coping mechanism
  to ensure job security and academic morale.But profs should think of the long
term impact that grades will have on the students' future.
           Paul Bernhardt had a post re an ex-student who was consulted about
radiology at her place of work.Since the student apparently did not get good
grades in class,he assumed that this
  could be risky at the workplace.Personally I would be cautious with this
assumption.There is a difference between the world of work
  and the classroom.And e should be aware of the FATE-The
  Fundamental Academic Transfer Error.This is the idea that
  classroom behavior is predictive of subsequent behavior in the real
world.Many college grads will tell you that their classroom studies were of
little significance to what they learn on the job.
           Ed Pollack mentioned a relative teaching in China who found that the
elite kids misbehaved.Perhaps if the relative was non-American it could be a
different story.Also students in Asia study hard for exams so they can advance
further.Teaching English
  in those countries may not be a big deal
   My conclusion is that the American system is good as it.It is a microcosm of
all that is American: mass production,disgust for the
  perceived tyranny of hard work,tacky,and it is how effective obe can
manipilate the process.
  However American students may be perceived as lazy,but they
  are certainly happier.

  Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
  Daytona Beach,Florida