At 4:43 PM -0500 3/5/00, Rick Adams wrote:
>       In my own research, there appear to be some fairly
>significant indicators
>that online behavior does _not_ parallel offline behavior. Since my work is
>largely cultural, versus strictly psychological, most of the material is
>observational and survey based instead of experimental (and thus much more
>subject to error)

For some pretty rigorous experimental and field research in this
area, try (from a PsychInfo search on Kiesler, Sara):

TI: Title
     A meta-analytic study of social desirability distortion in
     computer-administered questionnaires, traditional questionnaires,
     and interviews
AU: Author
     Richman, Wendy L; Kiesler, Sara; Weisband, Suzanne; Drasgow, Fritz
SO: Source
     Journal of Applied Psychology. Vol 84(5), Oct 1999, pp. 754-775

Record 2 of 28

TI: Title
     Internet use and ties that bind
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Kraut, Robert
SO: Source
     American Psychologist. Vol 54(9), Sep 1999, pp. 783-784

Record 3 of 28

TI: Title
     Internet paradox: A social technology that reduces social
     involvement and psychological well-being?
AU: Author
     Kraut, Robert; Patterson, Michael; Lundmark, Vicki; Kiesler, Sara;
     Mukophadhyay, Tridas; Scherlis, William
SO: Source
     American Psychologist. Vol 53(9), Sep 1998, pp. 1017-1031

Record 4 of 28

TI: Title
     Culture of the Internet
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara (Ed)
SO: Source
     1997. Mahwah, NJ, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.,
     Publishers. xvi, 463 pp.

Record 6 of 28

TI: Title
     The kindness of strangers: The usefulness of electronic weak ties
     for technical advice
AU: Author
     Constant, David; Sproull, Lee; Kiesler, Sara
SO: Source
     Organization Science. Vol 7(2), Mar-Apr 1996, pp. 119-135

Record 7 of 28

TI: Title
     A prisoner's dilemma experiment on cooperation with people and
     human-like computers
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Sproull, Lee; Waters, Keith
SO: Source
     Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. Vol 70(1), Jan 1996,
     pp. 47-65

Record 8 of 28

TI: Title
     When the interface is a face
AU: Author
     Sproull, Lee; Subramani, Mani; Kiesler, Sara; Walker, Janet H; et
     al
SO: Source
     Human-Computer Interaction. Vol 11(2), 1996, pp. 97-124

Record 9 of 28

TI: Title
     Communication across boundaries: Work, structure, and use of
     communication technologies in a large organization
AU: Author
     Hinds, Pamela; Kiesler, Sara
SO: Source
     Organization Science. Vol 6(4), Jul-Aug 1995, pp. 373-393

Record 10 of 28

TI: Title
     Coordination as linkage: The case of software development teams
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Wholey, Douglas; Carley, Kathleen M
SO: Source
     Harris, Douglas H. (Ed); et al. National Research Council; et al.
     (1994). Organizational linkages: Understanding the productivity
     paradox (pp. 214-239). Washington, DC, USA: National Academy
     Press. x, 310 pp.

Record 11 of 28

TI: Title
     Group decision making and communication technology
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Sproull, Lee
SO: Source
     Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes. Special Issue:
     Group decision making. Vol 52(1), Jun 1992, pp. 96-123

Record 13 of 28

TI: Title
     Self-selected and randomly selected respondents in a computer
     network survey
AU: Author
     Walsh, John P; Kiesler, Sara; Sproull, Lee S; Hesse, Bradford W
SO: Source
     Public Opinion Quarterly. Vol 56(2), Sum 1992, pp. 241-244

Record 15 of 28

TI: Title
     The equalization phenomenon: Status effects in computer-mediated
     and face-to-face decision-making groups
AU: Author
     Dubrovsky, Vitaly J; Kiesler, Sara; Sethna, Beheruz N
SO: Source
     Human-Computer Interaction. Vol 6(2), 1991, pp. 119-146

Record 16 of 28

TI: Title
     Communication and performance in ad hoc task groups
AU: Author
     Finholt, Tom; Sproull, Lee S; Kiesler, Sara
SO: Source
     Galegher, Jolene (Ed); Kraut, Robert E. (Ed); et al. (1990).
     Intellectual teamwork: Social and technological foundations of
     cooperative work (pp. 291-325). Hillsdale, NJ, USA: Lawrence
     Erlbaum Associates, Inc. xiv, 542 pp.

Record 17 of 28

TI: Title
     Computer communication and organizational commitment: Tracing the
     relationship in a city government
AU: Author
     Huff, Charles; Sproull, Lee; Kiesler, Sara
SO: Source
     Journal of Applied Social Psychology. Vol 19(16, Pt 2), Nov 1989,
     pp. 1371-1391

Record 19 of 28

TI: Title
     Group and computer-mediated discussion effects in risk decision
     making
AU: Author
     McGuire, Timothy W; Kiesler, Sara; Siegel, Jane
SO: Source
     Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. Vol 52(5), May 1987,
     pp. 917-930

Record 21 of 28

TI: Title
     Social aspects of computer environments
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara B
SO: Source
     Social Science. Vol 72(1), Spr 1987, pp. 23-28

Record 22 of 28

TI: Title
     Group processes in computer-mediated communication
AU: Author
     Siegel, Jane; Dubrovsky, Vitaly; Kiesler, Sara; McGuire, Timothy W
SO: Source
     Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes. Vol 37(2), Apr
     1986, pp. 157-187

Record 24 of 28

TI: Title
     Response effects in the electronic survey
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Sproull, Lee S
SO: Source
     Public Opinion Quarterly. Vol 50(3), Fal 1986, pp. 402-413

Record 27 of 28

TI: Title
     Social psychological aspects of computer-mediated communication
AU: Author
     Kiesler, Sara; Siegel, Jane; McGuire, Timothy W
SO: Source
     American Psychologist. Vol 39(10), Oct 1984, pp. 1123-1134