>informal study, they found a correlation of -.09 between grades and student
>>evaluations. Does anyone know of other studies?

There is plenty of peer-reviewed evidence that indicates a positive correlation. For a
complete list of references on this matter, see Greenwald, A.G. & Gillmore, G.M.
(1997). Grading leniency is a removable contaminant of student ratings. American
Psychologist, 52, 1209-1217.

In fact, American Psychologist contains several articles (Nov. 97, Nov. 98) in which
the utility of student evaluations are debated. There appears to be no argument over
the positive correlation between grades and ratings - the controversy is over how to
interpret this correlation. I wouldn't put any stock in the "informal study" mentioned
above.

--Steve